A follow up to my last post on this subject matter. Kids – they can be stubborn, picky, funny, and loving…and they do offer some tidbits on living.
- Eat when you’re hungry…not when you’re scheduled to. And eat only what sounds good off your plate. Who cares if it’s a tan starchy food and nothing else? I laughed aloud when I saw this book about picky children on Amazon – ‘You Have to F*****g Eat’ – the genius follow-up to ‘Go the F**k to Sleep.’ Man, this author hits the nail on the head!
- Recently when at a park, my daughter ran around for a good hour with a little girl she made friends with. Later on, I asked her if she knew the little girl’s name. She said, “No, momma, she only spoke Spanish so she didn’t understand me.” I love that they didn’t let a language barrier get in the way of a fun time.
- If you need to pray, just open your younger sibling’s mouth and yell down his or her throat because “Jesus lives in people’s hearts” so that’s how He can hear you.
- Be brave. When my daughter was hospitalized last summer, she was braver than I could ever imagine being. The doctors and nurses kept commenting how warm and easygoing she was. For such a traumatic situation, she sure didn’t show any signs of distress. I wish I could take such things in stride like that.
- Have good follow-through. Once in a great while I let things slip through the cracks. Okay, probably more than once in awhile. Lately, I feel my follow-through has left something to be desired. But my daughter – she doesn’t let much slip through. She’s always quick to remind me of any promise I made or the treat I mentioned she can have later in the day. Kids don’t miss a beat!
- Be observant. How come the they always find the tiniest new thing I have in the house and they’re completely drawn to it. And if you play ‘Memory’ with your kid, you feel completely inadequate. I can’t remember what I ate for dinner yesterday, but they remember the placement of every.single.card. Their little brains are sponges.
- To make the most of your day, make sure you wake well before the sun comes up. Don’t wait for the 6 o’clock hour – sleeping in is overrated.